Here's another recipe from last week's Farm Fresh newsletter.
I used homemade whole wheat bread instead of the baguette called for in the recipe. It seemed to work just as well and made it a bit healthier. I also simply used the oven at 450 degrees rather than the broiler setting.
I will say that this bruschetta was delicious!
Tomato & Squash Bruschetta
- 8roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup summer squash, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 French baguette
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven on broiler setting.
- In a large bowl, combine the roma tomatoes, squash, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
- Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
- Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Top the slices with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.